DAY 34 







Reba and Jill in, Burdick.




Burdick Meat Locker is known for its excellent beef jerky. They cannot serve sandwiches because the State won't let them do both, how ridiculous is that...not very helpful for small town America.

I liked this building’s clean and simple design in downtown Burdick. I don’t know how sound the building is, but as a man who restores classic cars for a living, I could see it restored just the way it is except for a large garage door, not a modern door, but one that fits with the design/era of the building, and couple of Ford Model As parked out front.


Nice looking church in Burdick, KS. I was rolling around the town with an empty wagon hoping to give rides to kids. I had spoken with a few ladies on the day before and I asked them to tell people that I would be out on the following afternoon. I think they did spread the word but there are only a few families with kids in the town and one family was away and the other family saw me but too late and they tried to catch me but I was already down the road so they gave up. Sorry kids!


Old grain elevator in downtown Burdick. In the foreground is the bed of an old railroad track that ran near the Santa Fe Trail, and certainly the trains stopped to get grain here. I noticed that the old stone culverts that run under the rail bed are from the 1800s. I figured as much because the concrete culverts (dated 1920) were much more sophisticated than the old stone ones, but with far less character, and ultimately, the old stone culverts, made from very large fieldstone blocks, will outlast the concrete. 

No comments:

Post a Comment