DAY 35 

Reba is suited up and ready to roll. In the background is an outbuilding on the property where Nanette let me stay. The property is for sale and includes a nice house w/fireplace, several acres (enough for a few horses) two new out-buildings, and more for a price that would not buy a single car garage in the city. Nanette is selling the house to her daughter, but there are countless deals like this for folks who want to leave the city-life behind for the down-home life where you may have to drive father for groceries, but you can grow a garden, folks wave when you pass by, and your kids are safe to play outside.





A home in Burdick, KS.


Abandon church in Lost Springs, KS. Whereas I believe many of our little towns can be restored, Lost Springs did not look restorable in the eyes of this old man who restores old cars. But then again, I recently restored a 1926 Chevy that looked destine to be parted out in a scrap heap of odds and ends, and it took first place in national car show in Wisconsin. I could not have done it if my customer had not been a determined man with an attitude of going forward and “damn the torpedoes.” He grew up horse farming near Winfield KS, without running water, electricity, or gas…and though hard work, he did alright for himself. But far above what one or two men can do is the fact that together as a people who follow God, we can do anything. Lost Springs has its bright spots. In the background of photo is the well-kept yard of a nice home. Behind the  abandon church is an abandon house. The city ball diamond is also abandon and grown over, and the downtown has a pit in which a building has collapsed into an overgrown pile of rubble. It ain’t pretty and I would be a liar if I said otherwise, and I know God will show a way to turn the tide for those of us who are brave enough to take a chance on Him.

Text Post: DAY 35: I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHOT OUT TO TIFFANY who I met just outside the town of Lost Springs, KS. Tiffany, who was on her way into town, stopped with her son and daughter to see what I was about before continuing into town; Tiffany then returned a few minutes later to tell me that I could camp at her and her husband Denny’s place on the edge of town. Thank you Denny and Tiffany!

My friends Carol and Gayla from our hometown of Ottawa KS came to visit and resupply me with some critically needed items including my heavy winter coveralls, coat, boots, a new rain suit (my old one was worn out), a bigger better tarp to shelter me in winter wind, horse feed (Reba’s favorite kind), apples for Reba, a few groceries I needed, and food treats for Jill and I! I know the price of the new tarp, rain suit, horse feed, and food was too large to expect the girls to pay for it, but they insisted, and I am deeply grateful for their generosity and kindness! Thank you Carol and Gayla! 


Tiffany’s son.



Carol, Tiffany’s daughter,  and Tiffany (standing behind Reba). Photo by Gayla






Reba and I.
Photo by Gayla

No comments:

Post a Comment