DAY 25 

Back on the  road to Council Grove. Earlier that morning, Ralph, Melba, and Ed gave me some pastries for the road. Thank you Ralph, Melba, and Ed!

Ed had told me about the “school house you can see though” as a landmark, while giving me directions on how to get to Council Grove by gravel road. I could not take Hwy 177 because there was no shoulder and lots of traffic, so I had to swing west around Council Grove Lake, then south, then east into town. It was the long way around, but taking the Highway would have been dangerous, not only for me, Reba, and Jill, but to the other motorist.




I pulled out my laptop and called up Google Earth to make sure I was on the right road.





Late in the afternoon, we came on this little park that looked like it was county or state owned, and it was open with no postings, so we camped there. Later the Sheriff came and was very polite, he said that some folks had called about me, and that the place was privately owned, and he would go and speak with the land owners to get permission for me, which I appreciated greatly. I told him I would pull up stakes if they did not give permission, but they did, and I am very grateful for that. It was a great campsite with good grass at the back where I penned Reba up, and excellent wind break. I had to walk about 1/8 mile to get 5 gal water for Reba a few times, but that was not a problem.


Jill found her a little spot to cuddle up. Later, in the middle of the night, I heard a critter in camp, and I called Jill to get it, so Jill got to work and drove off the critter which happened to be a skunk. Jill got sprayed, not real bad, but she did stink, and I told her that I was proud of her! It was a good dog kind of stink! Ha ha!


Text Post: DAY 25: I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO PAM, who I met while she was out walking the gravel road. I gave Pam a card and we had a good conversation, Pam offered to help me with ice, horse fed, etc, but I was in good shape. I almost asked her to take my trash for me because it was in the way, but I didn’t, and then she asked (woman’s intuition), and I was grateful to her for taking it off my hands. Thank you Pam!

Text Post: DAY 25: I STOPPED TO GET WATER FOR REBA, and because she is such a good girl, I didn’t tie her to the fence but just left her and the wagon in the ditch to eat grass while I took the bucket and walked back towards a pond we had just passed. While I walked towards the pond, Reba pulled a U-turn and followed me! Ha ha! So I had to turn her back around. While this was going on, the road grader came and I met Gary and gave him a card and had a good conversation. I liked what Gary said, “Bigger ain’t better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment