DAY 39 


Reba and I. It rained some that morning while I loaded the wagon and prepared to depart. Mike took the photo, and Kenny came with some beef Jerky for me (from the Burdick Meat Locker, and boy-howdy was it good). Thank you again Mike and Kenny!



Because I’d been on the edge of town for two days waiting for better weather and doing work already mentioned, and because I had decided to go southeast from Marion across an open land with very few farms or towns… I was feeling a sense of urgency that might be difficult to relate to anyone who does not know about living in the open. Our pioneer fathers and mothers knew it well. It required a super strong work ethic, it became part of the culture they built, and it motivated the Great Generation that defeated the Nazis and went to the moon. I only had time to stop at the grocer to resupply before heading out while the weather held for travel. And I apologize to the people of Marion for not taking more time in their town. The folks I did meet, like Mike and Margaret, and Lori who gave a donation plus dog food and candy in the grocer parking lot, represented the community very well, once again showing that rural and small town America is a special place upon which no price can be placed. Photo of Marion, residential neighborhood.

I made the mistake of turning down a mud road and there was no way to turn around. It was heck for Reba who got an extreme work-out. I told her I was sorry for getting us into it, and she did what had to be done, which is why she is the star. And it should be noted that she was in excellent shape, well rested, and therefore ready for this kind of thing.


This is NOT the mud road we traveled but a gravel road believe it or not, that is how messy things are out here! Then, because of all the mud, we had to get on Highway177 for a mile, on the gravel shoulder which was angled, and it was not an easy day for Reba. But she did it, and that's why she's a star.



Best grass yet, excellent windbreak, and a good roll in the hay for Reba after a long day. Thank you Lord for giving us an excellent roadside camp (we needed it).



Our Halloween camp at dusk, on the road from Marion to Florence. As I sat eating dinner, I thought to myself, “in a few hours it will be November, what am I doing out here in a tent?” Ha ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment