DAY 28 

Everyone in this photo (except Lenox) looks a little nervous because Reba suddenly started to go forward. Lenox, who grew up horse farming, stopped her right away (he is stopping her in the photo). (Photo from left to right: Lauren and his wife, Dean’s two kiddos, Ron, Lenox, Ron’s son Dean, Reba, Roger and his three grandkids.)



Roger’s grandkids at Lenox’s place, they were from Lawrence, so I reckon they may have felt a little out of place maybe, but if so, they were being good sports, and I say good for them!




Ron and son Dean with Dean’s two boys, at Lenox’s place.





Text Post: DAY 28: SATURDAY MORNING I WENT INTO TOWN (Council Grove) from Lenox’s place to the Saddler Rock Café and got breakfast. Lenox had offered to take me everywhere I need to go with his truck but I told him I needed to go with Reba and the wagon to meet folks. So I went to the café and people came to see me straight away in the parking lot, and I talked to folks and gave out cards, and folks inside the café were very friendly. I was grateful but frustrated because instead of engaging fully with them, I was working like mad while eating to get the online transfer done, and then finally this little boy came up and asked me if I would give him a ride in my wagon, and I took off my glasses and started to kindly tell him no because I had work to do but I didn’t, I told him yes, and gave him a ride around the block, and he and grandma thought that was just terrific.

DAY 28: I’D LIKE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO THE PEOPLE OF COUNCIL GROVE: You all were so friendly and kind to me all the way through town! I picked up some propane at the lumber yard, then went to the grocer where some kind person pushed a $20 into my hand (I had just refused a donation shortly before, but I appreciated it greatly and will do my best to put it to good use). Many people tried to engage me, and there I was rushing like a mad man to get everything done so I could find a campsite before nightfall. I passed out cards and did my best to explain my situation contritely, and all seemed to understand. Thank you Council Grove!

Council Grove, KS.


I got out of Council Grove late, and was worried for a campsite, so I asked Reba to run (trot), it was the first time I asked her in the journey, and she covered ground 3 times faster than usual, and got a good aerobic workout, we went about a mile and found a campsite by the old railroad track. (Are these just weeds, or some kind of crop that I don’t know about, like a spice crop or food additive???? I think it's just a kind of weed).


I was next to the Rails-to-Trails, but the brome looked like it might be someone’s cash crop, so I parked Reba in the woods (there was a lot of good semi-dry brome in them woods).


No comments:

Post a Comment