DAY 45 

First day on the road from Cassoday to Eureka, it was cold and windy. By noon it was 38 degrees but felt like 28 according to my phone.

Late in the day the clouds finally broke up and the temp warmed a bit. Reba was slow and I didn’t push her, even so, she pulled up and down the hills on sharp flint rock gravel for 13 miles, bless her heart!

On this day we did not see a single farm or even a house, just vast open land. The work load for sustained living outdoors in November’s wind and chill is huge, but it gives huge appreciation for those who came before, and appreciation is akin to gratitude, and gratitude is akin to happiness.

Another excellent roadside camp with good grass for Reba and good water just across the road. While setting up my camp, Jason from Cassoday came in his truck to check on us and make sure we were okay (there had been concern among Kyle, Jason, and family because I was going into a fairly desolate place). Thank you again Jason and family!


Jill catches the last of the day’s sun while I set up camp.

This is how fast the temp falls out here; while setting up camp in the last of the sunlight, I had my coat off, then as I cooked and ate my supper in my cook tent, I added cloths while darkness fell, then going out of my cook tent and walking around the corner with my headlamp on, I saw that my sleep tent was covered in a fairly thick layer of frost, and it was only 6pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment