DAY 48 



Nice looking church in Eureka, KS.

Downtown Eureka, which I had to whirlwind through, I had no choice; I got up at 4am and worked fast, I had to get into town, run a slew of important resupply errands, and then get back into the country and find a place to camp before dark. I was in such a hurry that, while at the grocer packing my groceries, I had to slam down my lunch, then stop everything and run down to the library on foot to get my computer before they closed (they were charging my battery). It was that kind of day, I was all over the place. I engaged very few people for fear of not getting my chores done, so I apologized to folks as I went (or I just ducked them because then I would not have to stop and explain). I hope people understand, it is a different world living in the open when the days grow short and the weather turns rough…God is teaching me a lesson about what it took to build this great land…no dilly-dallying, no jibber-jabber, just honest work to get the job done, and then a day of rest for giving thanks, which is akin to happiness, and encouraging one another, to shore up and maintain your community bond for what it is - a gift from God that fosters peace, harmony, and happiness.

At the post office in Eureka, a little old lady gave me the only dollar she had (she apologized because she did not have her checkbook). I thanked her for her kindness and promised to make good use of it. I had just apologized for being in a rush, and quickly explained what I was about to her and her brother who was visiting her. Her brother had forgotten his camera, but asked if I would take a picture of them and e-mail it to them. I said I would, but that I may not be able to send it until after my mission which was fine with them. After I took their picture, they insisted on taking my picture. Thank you both, for your enthusiasm and kindness!



Neat old hotel in downtown Eureka, wish I could have stopped and checked it out.




This is the Eureka Public Library. Thank you Connie at the library for letting me recharge my laptop battery and giving me water for Reba. As I understand it, the new public library and swimming pool, both made possible by the State, could be good, but I do not know if there were any strings attached, perhaps making the community beholden to certain State ideologies developed by detached theoreticians who haven’t a clue about what holds a small town together. I don't know. All I'm saying is; we must be careful when dealing with big gov and big biz because in order to be big and stay big; big entities need to make people dependent on their services in big ways - and this can be bad for freedom in a big way. Eureka has good people, I didn't meet a single sour face, and their library is beautiful, but I am sorry to say, after rolling though the town on horse and wagon which is very slow even when in a hurry, it looked like a community in trouble. In in this Eureka is not alone but suffers a Nation-wide problem, and the last place to go for help is big gov and biz because of what I said above; independence (community strength) is not gained by trusting (and becoming dependent) on those who dwell in places of power and control. Independence, as proven by our forefathers and mothers, is made by hardworking individuals bound together as a people who trust in God. 

Text Post: DAY 48: I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO KENNY who helped me load horse feed into my wagon (not a simple chore, removing all tie-downs, removing all upper items, then filling a rubberized grain bag in place so that it would take the shape of the void it was placed in… it went well). Thank you Kenny!

Text Post: DAY 48: I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO MARTY who I met on a gravel road a mile or two after departing from Eureka. Marty stopped in his truck and told me he had some cattle pens I could stay in a mile up the road, and that was just exactly what I needed. Thank you Marty!

Text Post: DAY 48: To anyone that saw me trotting my horse late in the day: Please know that I am not being hard on her, she had slept all day in town while I ran around getting supplies, and I was trying to get to Marty’s pens and make camp before sundown.

No comments:

Post a Comment