DAY 14:





October sky, cold wind but good day!

Reba is telling me to get the heck off the wagon, seriously, she has gotten use to me getting off before she pulls up hills, and now she stops at the base of every hill, and if I don't get off, she looks back at me like, "GET OFF!"


What a vista!



Muddy October Roads.




Two steel gussets on the wagon had broken, probably when Reba pulled it up the bulldozer tracks where the bridge was out (see prior post). I met Jim on the road and in our conversation, I told him that I was going to Wamego to resupply and make some repairs, and when he heard about the gussets, he told me that he had a welder I could use. That's me in the photo, fixing the wagon. (Note: The welds that broke were not my work, they were pre-existing). Thank you Jim!

Entering the town of Louisville (don't blink, you'll miss it).

   

I was really worried when I entered Louisville because stopping to repair my wagon had put me behind and I didn't want to be out in the dark without a place to stay...but I shouldn't have worried; Rodney was out in his yard, and when I asked him if he knew of anyplace I could camp, he set me up with great grass for Reba, and water too. Thank you Rodney! (From left to right: Rodney, his wife Tanya, grandson Tyler, granddaughter Kassidy, daughter Melissa, and son-in-law Rusty). Rodney and Tanya brought me breakfast this morning (Day 15), an unexpected but very, very appreciated surprise, they also helped me charge my computer battery because my charging system is not working. Thank you Rodney and Tanya!


Curtis (not shown in photo) came to my camp and invited me to a jubilee at the Cowboy church tonight, just a half-a-block from my camp. At the jubilee, that's the Kansas Cowboy Poet Dwight Burgess, and man was he good! (Thank you to Don, his wife, and all those who worked to organize the event, it was free, with popcorn and treats! What a treat!)


After the Jubilee, I had a great time talking with Curtis and his wife Debbie, and their kids, and Ken and his wife (whose name I do not have). What a great time! We were the last guest to leave! We told stories about the pioneers and other local history. Curtis offered me hay for Reba, and offered to pick me up a bag of feed in Manhattan, but Reba had plenty of good grass, and Ken wrote down his cell phone number and told me to call if I needed anything. (Photo from left to right: Ken and his wife, Curtis and Debbie, and their kiddos.

No comments:

Post a Comment