DAY 20 




Reba ready to roll, morning at Buddy’s place.








On the road to Alma, biggest cottonwood tree I ever saw!




Crossing little stream on road to Alma.




Entering Alma KS, peaceful and pretty!





Downtown Alma was very beautiful, set in the flint hills. I went to the Coop first where I met Chris, Bill, and Brent. We had a good faith-based conversation about rural and small town America, and I gave them my cards and booklets (I hadn’t been passing out many booklets because I originally thought to give them to people who were not on-line  but everyone's on-line these days, so in the Alma area I started giving out booklets anyway – I gave out ten). One of the men in the Coop gave me a small donation, for which I am very grateful. Next, at the quick shop down the street, I met a cowboy, he had his horse in his trailer with saddle on, and he had his spurs on, and he worked at a local ranch, I believe his name was Chris but I will find out and correct this if I am wrong. Chris and I had a good conversation and I gave him my card. I later learned that Chris had won a national award for cowboy poetry! Wow! While Chris and I were talking, a lady came from the paper and same as before I asked her if she was a person of faith, and she said yes, and I said I was glad to hear that because a person without faith cannot tell a story of faith. 

Not by my plan (I don’t have a plan), but as God would have it, I got to Alma for the lunch hour, and that certainly helped me met folks in a quiet town, then, after spending a few hours there, I set out on a rural black top for the town of Alta Vista. It sure was a pretty day!


On the road to Alta Vista. While on the road to Alta Vista, I met a lady named Julie, told her what I was about, and asked if she knew a place up ahead where I might camp. Julie said I could camp on her land about 4 miles ahead, and there was good grass and water there for Reba. Julie was on her way into Alma, going in the opposite direction as me, but she caught up with me before I got to her place, and too my surprise, she had some things for me; 2 bags of pistachio nuts, a peanut butter candy bar, and a Hormel meatloaf (which I ate for supper the next night, and it was good, thank you Julie!)


When I got to Julie’s house, I met her husband Cleo, their son Scott and his wife Linda (in photo from left to right: Cleo, Julie, Scott, and Linda). We had a good conversation, and Scott, who does youth camp ministry with Linda in the flint hills, gave me a kind donation. Thank you Scott and Linda! Scott and Linda then left and Cleo and Julie invited me to supper at 6, so I went and set up my camp and got everything done just at 6. Supper was simple but good, very good, and I sure did have a good time speaking with Cleo and Julie. Thank you so much for all your kindness Cleo and Julie!


No comments:

Post a Comment