DAY 58 

Morning at our camp on the abandon railroad track just a mile outside Yates Center. I got up and went to work at 2:30am because Reba needed a place to lie down and also some grass to eat. It took some doing but I got her set up good. And fortunately I had a full moon to work by. I also refilled her water which involved going through a thicket that was really something. I’ve been up and down a lot of creek banks in this journey but this time was extra tough trying to get that 5 gallon bucket out through all those vines and thorns! By getting up so early, we were ready to head for town by 8am.



Photo shows the abandon railroad bed nicely.





The evergreens are taking over the railroad bed, making for a narrow passage (I busted my safety flag’s pole off on a branch).


The wheels cut deep into the gravel and made it hard for Reba to pull, good thing it was only a mile to town.

Yates Center city square with Woodson County Courthouse. The railroad track ended at the town’s Coop which was my first stop, I was looking for a new safety flag pole and although they did not have one, they were very helpful and gave me the name and number of a man who lived on the edge of town and could possibly put me up for my stay there. The next stop was at the Dollar General Store across the street where people stopped in the parking lot to see what I was about, lots of folks, and I was handing out cards as usual, and some booklets too which I am almost out of, we then continued to the hardware store, city office, county extension office, the café downtown (called the Feed Bunker, very good food and service), and the grocery store. Because I got into town early and the weather was nice, I was more relaxed and was able to take my time more than I had in Eureka. I got to speak with a lot of folks; everyone was friendly, genuinely interested, and helpful, not a sour soul in the group and it was obvious that Yates Center was a strong town because folks had the bond!


BELOW: Four photos of Yates Center, Business District arranged in a town square around the Courthouse. 







Public park in residential Yates Center, KS.






Text Post: DAY 58: I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO THE WOODSON COUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE AT YATES CENTER; I spoke with Dale and others there who told me I could camp in a barn at the fairgrounds, and there was water, electricity, and restroom. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment