DAY 17

JoAnn with Reba at the Coop in Wamego. It was mid-morning, the time I planned to cross the bridge because traffic would be light at that time (hopefully).





Crossing the Kansas River. 
Reba did great!




Love those stone ruins, on the road between Wamego and Alma.


This is Tom who shot a bunch of photos of Reba and Jill and I as we were entering the town of Wabaunsee. The historic Beecher Bible and Rifle Church is in the back-ground, built 1859-1862.


James and Sue, who are brother and sister, gave me a tour of the Beecher Bible and Rifle Church. Sue lives in Wabaunsee, and James lives in Washington State and was visiting for the funeral of their brother. Both are married with families, and are Christians. Thank you James and Sue for showing me the historic church!


On the road to Alma, looking back from where we came, the Kansas River Valley.



Mike helped us find a campsite. Before we got to Mike’s house, Reba had really been pulling hard like she was driven to make miles, but later she became tired, and when we stopped to ask about a campsite, no one was home at the first house, and Reba was very upset because she’d come to understand that pulling into driveways at that time of day meat her work was done and it was time for grain, grass, and rest. I tried to tell her that there was no one home, and we couldn’t make camp without permission. It’s funny that a horse could show anguish, but she clearly did. The next house was Mike’s house, and Mike, who was very friendly said we were welcome to camp on his land, but he knew of perhaps a better situation next door with better water and grass. Over the phone, his neighbors, Joe and Barb of Downey Ranch, were very hospitable, and gave me an excellent campsite beside a pond. Downey ranch is about 2,000 acres I think, and Joe was out of town, and Barb had her hands full with a cattle operation that afternoon, but as it turned out, Barb and I had already met briefly in Wabaunsee. The pond was not visible from the road, so Mike, Jill, and I got on his ATV and he showed me where it was, or at least he was fairly certain of where it was even though we couldn’t see it from the road, and I remember Mike joking about getting old and forgetful. Just prior to that, while on the phone, Barb had asked me if I had Google Earth…I got out my laptop, plugged in my air-card, and sure enough there was the pond exactly where Mike thought it was (even while we drove up and down the road looking for it). It was just hidden. Thank you Mike, Joe and Barb! Second photo is looking across the prairie to the pond we found with Google Earth. Thanks again to Joe and Barb of Downey Ranch!



No comments:

Post a Comment