DAY 57 



On road to town of, Yates Center.  Beautiful blue sky!

As we neared the town of Yates Center, we had to use an abandon railroad track to avoid Highway 54. The steel rails and wood ties had been removed so that only the gravel remained with an occasional railroad spike laying here and there.

We came to a dead tree that had fallen across the path, I told Reba to step over it and she did, whereby the steel rimed wagon wheels cut-and-broke through it nicely. I was looking back at it with pride, but I didn’t see what lay ahead (see next photo)!

When I turned from the fallen tree, I cried out, “Wow girl,” Reba stopped, and that was good because just several feet more and the wagon wheel would have gone in this sink hole (and it may have been a lot of hard work to get it out of there).


We camped on the abandon railroad track just a mile from town in the windbreak of some cedar trees.

I had no place to put up my portable pen, so Reba had to be tied just below my tent in the ditch of the railroad track, and I felt bad because that meant she would not be able to lay down and rest her feet the way she likes, and she had worked so hard that day (horses stand and sleep and rest their feet by lifting one foot while sleeping, then another and so on, and Reba does that, but she likes to lay down which gives her better rest). Note: I fixed this problem for Reba within a few hours as shown in next post (see day 58).

No comments:

Post a Comment